Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 20:53:48 GMT

Imran Ghory <address@hidden> wrote:
>  I would be perfectly happy if the text said "GNU Utilities" or whatever,
> but GNU/Linux is recognized by the name of Linux whether we like it or
> not. Maybe we should in the main text call it Linux and attach a footnote
> along the lines of "Linux is also sometimes known as GNU/Linux due to the
> large amount of utilities supplied by the GNU project".

Careful, your bias is showing.  s/also sometimes/more properly/

You'll be wanting us to use US spelling next, because more people speak US
English... ;^)  Is this about how things *are* or how they *should be*?  I
think there's a fine line to tread here between educating and accepting the
status quo.  If we just accept the status quo, we might as well produce
marketing material for proprietary companies...

> Yes, but when people say GNU/Linux they're not reffering to apps like
> Gnome.

I am.  What would you think I was talking about?  Seriously, this is
interesting...

--