Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:37:56 +0000

On 2004-01-26 10:59:11 +0000 Philip Hunt <address@hidden> wrote:

Indeed so, but Gates with a knighthood is likely to be more respected than gates without a knighthood; indeed that's the whole point of
the honours system.

The honours system has been broken for a long time. Occasionally it honours someone worthy, but more often it's TPTB's chums. (Not a popular view around here, within walking distance of Sandringham.)

I think it is disgusting that Gates is honoured. [...]

So do I, but the title is meaningless and it's not worth the time. I think there are better ways to hurt his plans by giving users more freedom and protecting ones they already have. If you want to campaign, please give an AFFS workgroup a hand (government group needs a co-ordinator); make sure your MP knows your views about the "IPR" directive or the swpat one; or try to get more free software CDs into your local libraries. A campaign about Bill's knighthood seems a bit off-topic for this list.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden