Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?

From: James Heald
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:17:44 +0000

MJ Ray wrote:

On 2004-01-27 18:10:58 +0000 Simon Waters <address@hidden> wrote:

Perhaps we should check which of the luminaries of the movement think a
Knighthood would be fun - it then becomes a story to hang material onto
- and I'm sure the Palace would be grateful of nominations that aren't
likely to be turned down.

Good idea. Please do it and tell us what to do next to help, if necessary. I think they ask for public suggestions of worthies these days. I expect some would not accept, though.

I find it almost impossible to find even residual credibility in the honours system, when a contribution of the magnitude of Alan Cox's goes unremarked and unconsidered.

(They did give Tim Berners-Lee a knighthood though ISTR this year... does that make him the anti Bill Gates?)