Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:42:32 +0000

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:37:56AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:

> On 2004-01-26 10:59:11 +0000 Philip Hunt <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Indeed so, but Gates with a knighthood is likely to be more respected
> > than
> > gates without a knighthood; indeed that's the whole point of
> > the honours system.
>
> The honours system has been broken for a long time. Occasionally it
> honours someone worthy, but more often it's TPTB's chums. (Not a
> popular view around here, within walking distance of Sandringham.)

I haven't looked that closely to see the ratio, but every time they
announce the honours list I find that the ones I actually agree with are
well in the minority.

> > I think it is disgusting that Gates is honoured. [...]
>
> So do I, but the title is meaningless and it's not worth the time. I
> think there are better ways to hurt his plans by giving users more
> freedom and protecting ones they already have.

Yup.  As I see it the proposed knighthood is a symptom of the disease,
not something to be specifically fought.  Better to go for the root
cause.

> If you want to campaign, please give an AFFS workgroup a hand
> (government group needs a co-ordinator); make sure your MP knows your
> views about the "IPR" directive or the swpat one; or try to get more
> free software CDs into your local libraries. A campaign about Bill's
> knighthood seems a bit off-topic for this list.

I think that the proposed knighthood is something which is/was worth
bringing up here and on other lists/newsgroups/forums, because it is a
symptom of how out of touch politicians are with IT.  I would support
any such campaign being mentioned here (as an announcement) wit
follow-up discussion beimg routed elsewhere, because it does have an
impact.

I agree with Ian as well that it is likely to do more harm than good to
the government (can Gates even receive the knighthood as a US citizen?
I know there have been problems wit hthat in the past).  And in that way
I approve of it <g>...

Chris C