Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:54:00 +0000

Hi Phil,

> I think it is disgusting that Gates is honoured. Thousands of people
> have done more to advance computing than he has, for example the
> people who invented compilers, word processing, windowing systems,
> object oriented programming, tcp/ip, the Web, email, etc.

Whilst I was asleep listening to _Today_ on Radio 4 this morning I
thought I heard that part of the reason he had been given it was the
large charitable donations he'd make to the UK, including paying for
250-odd student places at Cambridge.

If you're that interested you may want to find the official announcement
which says why he's been given it.

Cheers,

Ralph.