Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS strategy (Was: Beyond bitching...)

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS strategy (Was: Beyond bitching...)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:00:22 +0100

Alex Hudson wrote:

>Ah, that's probably where I'd differ - this mailing list is about free
>software in the UK; it's not run or managed by the AFFS, nor is its
>subscribership the membership. So, although I imagine we have a fair
>number of members on this list, I wouldn't consider communication on
>this list to be communication with our members.

Ah, I see. Then we have a free software organisation without any general
mailing list for its members? Why not? I would have thought this was the
first essential for getting any modern organisation running.  If there
are problems being able to support it on the affs web host, let me know
and I will find us a hospitable place to host it.

But is that really the case? A few mails ago, Tom Chance wrote

'The AFFS lists are already frequented by a small minority of free
software users, contributors & advocates from the UK.'

Implying that there was more than one AFFS list - I assume he meant the
FSFE-UK list and the AFFS-project list? Which is not for the general
public and not pointed to on the website IIRC?

Graham