Re: [Fsfe-uk] [OT-ish] Government food data

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [OT-ish] Government food data
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:36:08 +0100

"Brough, Tom" <address@hidden>
> Errm Im no expert but we do have the freedom of information act. (FOIA), so
> I would think it would qualify under that as HMSO is a government
> organisation ? [...]

Oh, I wish it were that simple! I think this information, which is
published as a book you can consult, would be judged as reasonably
accessible through other methods. I could be wrong, though.

Also, FOIA responses are still subject to copyright, aren't they?
People wanting to learn more about database rights and database
copyright might like to try
URL:http://www.iusmentis.com/databases/crashcourse/
debian-legal contributor Arnoud Engelfret's crash course.

If there's no way around this problem, I guess persuading the
Food Standards Agency to change policy is one way forward. Maybe
Free Culture UK, Diabetes UK and other similar groups would be
interested in supporting some activities towards that end.

I hope there is a good solution already, though. This sounds
so daft you couldn't make it up.

Best wishes,
--
MJ Ray (slef), Lynn, England, retposxto cxe http://mjr.towers.org.uk/