Re: [Fsfe-uk] Debian needs Welsh and Irish l10n help

From: Dafydd Harries
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Debian needs Welsh and Irish l10n help
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:07:25 +0000

Ar 16/11/2006 am 13:01, ysgrifennodd Gareth Bowker:
> On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 12:56 +0000, Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 November 2006 11:44, MJ Ray wrote:
> > > I just noticed that the Welsh and Irish languages have been deactivated
> > > from the debian-installer.
> >
> > I can't speak for Irish, but for Welsh I'm surprised, since Dafydd Harries
> > (the main GNOME translator) is (or was) a Debian user.  Does Gareth have
> > any
> > light to shed on this?
>
> Not really, no :) I know Daf changed jobs a while ago, but other than
> that, I don't know. I've CC'ed Daf in, so maybe he can shed some
> light...
>
> > > I don't know whether these can be rescued in time for the next release
> > > and given how infrequent releases seem to be these days, that's sad.
> > > Debian is the ancestor of a number of others, including gNewSense
> > > through Ubuntu, and Cymrux through Knoppix, so I hope that improving
> > > debian localisation will help those too.
> >
> > Indeed.  Having said that, though, Welsh KDE has been stalled for the last
> > 18
> > months while I work on developing a GPLed dictionary (Eurfa), spelling
> > checker and grammar checker (to be released shortly).  GPL tools were not
> > available, and the translations needed checking.  So it may be that Dafydd
> > (if he was ever involved!) has had other competing demands on *his* time.

Hi,

The Debian installer did have a complete Welsh translation by myself a few
months ago but it has since lapsed. Indeed, I've recently not been
particularly active with the Gnome translation either, though Rhys Jones has
been keeping that up.

It's not a huge amount of work to bring the translation up to date, and it's
conceivable that it could be officially supported in the 1.0 release, but
there's also work to be done in areas like dpkg, APT, tasksel, shadow, exim
etc for all messages that are displayed during installation to be translated.

--
Dafydd