Re: [Fsfe-uk] Debian needs Welsh and Irish l10n help

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Debian needs Welsh and Irish l10n help
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:21:12 +0000

> > On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 13:44 +0000, Jon Grant wrote:
> > > Without wanting to cause a stir with any cultural imperialism, perhaps
> > > there are more important things than Welsh and Irish i18n..

Of course there are: famine, disease, poverty and so on.

However, for people who know Welsh or Irish, having a computer able to
communicate in that language can be very helpful.  The idea that using
another language would somehow make one less able to speak English is so
contrary to the available evidence that I'm amazed anyone posted it.  If
anyone in Britain has difficulty speaking English coherently, it is the
monolingual English, I'm sorry to say.

I hope someone does clue you in fully off-list, but for now, see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6103176.stm
Bilingual pupils 'are an asset'

http://education.independent.co.uk/news/article1943292.ece
Bilingual pupils do better in exams, report finds

Hopefully the likes of Jon Grant won't deter anyone from localising free
software to Welsh, Irish and many other languages.

Kevin Donnelly <address@hidden> wrote:
> Paid รข bwydo'r ellyll ....

Is that: don't feed the devil?  I hope this subthread is short and cold.

Nevertheless, I ask people to at least post an English translation for
the vast number on this list who don't yet understand Welsh.

Best wishes,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble