Re: Growing FSFE Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Growing FSFE Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:23:01 +0000

address@hidden wrote:
> Quoting MJ Ray <address@hidden>:
> > I'm still disappointed that the FDL has been used for that.  We need
> > to promote these skills more widely and easily than that allows.
>
> What are the problems with the FDL for that?

Some of them are general to strong copyleft, similar to why you'd use
the LGPL rather than the GPL for a library.  There are other skills
out there which we need to win mindset from and more liberal terms help
to do that more cheaply.

Some of them are FDL-specific, like allowing any group to attach
permanent obnoxious advertising or poison pills, or including the FDL
1.2 licence inline.  See http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2006/fdl#general

The SFDL would probably remove some of those drawbacks, but not all.

Hope that explains,