Re: Growing FSFE Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: Growing FSFE Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:06:41 +0100

On 10/01/2008, MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> > Quoting MJ Ray <address@hidden>:
> > > I'm still disappointed that the FDL has been used for that.  We need
> > > to promote these skills more widely and easily than that allows.
> >
> > What are the problems with the FDL for that?
>
> Some of them are general to strong copyleft, similar to why you'd use
> the LGPL rather than the GPL for a library.  There are other skills
> out there which we need to win mindset from and more liberal terms help
> to do that more cheaply.

This sounds like a general endorsement that applies the Open Font
License's weak copyleft, which I hope to start a discussion about on
the OFL list shortly and look forward to your contributions there, MJ
:-)

> Some of them are FDL-specific, like allowing any group to attach
> permanent obnoxious advertising or poison pills, or including the FDL
> 1.2 licence inline.  See http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2006/fdl#general
>
> The SFDL would probably remove some of those drawbacks, but not all.

I hope that you've engaged the FSF about all the specific drawbacks
you see in SFDL.

I'm not sure how the wikipedia/fdl/cc thing is progressing; anyone
care to start a new thread about that? :-)

--
Regards,
Dave