Re: Growing FSFE Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Growing FSFE Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:19:27 +0000

Shane Martin Coughlan <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
> Would you like to see the FTF informing the reporter of a problem of
> such actions?  Of course, such reportage does consume additional time
> and resources on our part, but if several people felt that it was a
> necessity then it's something I would like to take into consideration.

I would like to see that.  I can't see how any organisation can hope
to build confidence without some progress reporting back to the
submitters.  Something short at the end of the case is needed.  A
3-line summary would be adequate (that's what the Information
Commission usually sends when I report privacy violations), but it
needs something.  It would also be an excellent time to request money.

[...]
> 1. Large drives to increase Fellowship subscriptions:
>    http://fsfe.org/

The number of bounces from dead @fsfe.org addresses suggests that it
also needs some work to improve retention, so I'm not wholly confident
in encouraging people there.  Can someone post the retention rate?

> 2. People to solicit businesses to donate lump sums:
>    http://fsfeurope.org/help/donate.en.html
>    (as well as individuals and philanthropists)

Given recent stuff, I'll replace my request to add FSF to my
business's support with one to add FSFE, rather than remove it.

Related question: is AFFS forwarding FSFE donations at the mo?

> 3. People to purchase FTF training courses:
>    http://fsfeurope.org/projects/ftf/trainingcourse.en.html

What's needed to bring these to the UK?

Regards,