Re: Growing FSFE Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Growing FSFE Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 15:27:47 +0000

Richard Smedley <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 10:59 +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
> > pretty much very quiet. For programming language training it seems to be
> > viable, and for some specific web apps, but aside from that it's pretty
> > tough - I'm pretty sure one UK org. found it couldn't even give training
> > away if it was offered for free in many instances.

Yes, hat's pretty much my experience.  My company (software.coop) is
in the third sector but offers services to all.  I don't really push
training and we only really sell it as an add-on to other work. Our
free tester sessions have had positive feedback, but some of them have
had low turnouts, so there's not been one for some time and our course
materials need updating.

[...]
> On the admin side The PILOTs [1] will be launching in a few weeks,
> giving a framework for training accidental techies and other
> small org admins in *nix networks :-)

I'm still disappointed that the FDL has been used for that.  We need
to promote these skills more widely and easily than that allows.

Regards,