Re: [glob2-devel] Glob2 salvage proposal

From: Kyle Lutze
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Glob2 salvage proposal
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:51:14 -0700

Stephane Magnenat wrote:
Hi everyone,
[...]
I propose to split glob2 in a server and a thin-client. The server would do the actual game logic (core engine) and the client will do the rendering. The client will connect to the server through TCP, and download game media (graphics, music) dynamically. Only the server will do computations. This should solve both the synchronization problem and the gradients limitations for slow computers. The client will be generic (i.e. not limited to glob2): you can see the client as a sort of webbrowser but with server-side layouting and optimized for games (binary protocol, animations support, ...). I propose to base the whole thing on Qt4, because it is very well done, documented, and provides lots of features (nice themable gui, network, reflexivity, serialization, several graphical backends, ...). And of course it is GPL.

In theory, this would be a great idea, but it definitely won't scale well. If you have one central server (say, the current glob2 meta server) do all of the logic, you will have a huge issue with load when the game becomes bigger (at least I really hope it does). Imagine 100 people playing with each other when the game hits stable. With all of the different things going on the AI in that would totally bog down the server. Well, maybe not at a 100, but eventually it will. There has got to be a better way to do it.

I will definitely turn this over for a while