Re: Networking (was Re: [glob2-devel] Glob2 salvage proposal)

From: Stephane Magnenat
Subject: Re: Networking (was Re: [glob2-devel] Glob2 salvage proposal)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:18:15 +0200

Hi,

I don't see the reason of setting latency manually, as the game should choose
the best one according to actual network conditions. The fact that latency is
choosen manually in StarCraft is a drawback, not a feature.

Now on your proposal: if I understand correctly, it is for a client/server
model where clients do indeed recompute all the world (and thus game is still
synchronized) but where orders go through a central point, which should not
be behind firewall/NAT ?
Such a model would of course simplify the network compared to the fully p2p
actual system, but it would still require all clients to stop when an order
from a given client is not received, because of the synchronized nature of
the game. But perhaps I've missunderstood something, so in that case correct
me. When you think about a network procotol, try to make sure that it still
works with, let says, 4 clients.

Have a nice day,