Re: [glob2-devel] more fruits?

From: Matthew Marshall
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] more fruits?
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:53:21 -0300

On Fri 10 Mar 2006 07:11, Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
> Matthew Marshall a écrit :
> > On Tue 07 Mar 2006 17:48, Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
> >> Well, the initial idea was to have more than 3 fruits. In this context,
> >> market would allow trading between players, even if they were not
> >> allied. It was designed to encourage secret diplomacy in free for all
> >> games.
> >
> > I have been wondering, is there any reason why this hasn't come about?
>
> There is reasons, although not good ones. Adding more fruit had been
> indefinitely delayed due to :
> - lack of fruit graphisms and names

Joey and I contributed some about two years ago.  They might not be the best,
but they are better than nothing.

> - risk of too powerfull conversion strategy (wrong argument, map
> designer may rescrict number of fruit)

Why not have the 'fruiting power' be dependant on how many fruits there are on
the map.  For example, on a map with 3 fruits, one player with 1 fruit and
another player with 2 fruits, would have the same effect as 2 and 4 fruits,
respectively, on a map with 6 fruits.  That way, a map designer can make
fruiting less effective just by adding more.

Also, I would really like to have a display of the maximum number of fruits
any one team has.  (Just like how prestige is now.)

MWM