Re: [glob2-devel] Full Nicowar behaviour assessment

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Full Nicowar behaviour assessment
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 21:27:47 +1300

You don't know how Nicowar places its buildings, so I'll let you go on
this one. But I'll give you one thing: having only inns placed near
other inns and all other buildings spaced is impossible in the current
system, and would be an expensive algorithm regardless. I can fake it
and allow any buildings, including inns, to be placed close to inns,
and to have upgrade spac ing requirements dropped for inns, but no
building to building specifics for now, maybe later.

Ok. Look forward to any changes to Nicowar :D

Like I said, experiementation is needed.

Well, tell me how to activate it and I will test it.

So how do you propose I stop expansion, and how do you propose I have
it decide when to start expanding again. If it did 0 expandsion it
would never build another building, because to build any building it
has to "Expand" to some degree.

Well, is there some way to wait till it has a level 3 barracks? That way you have advanced warriors quickly and less chance of being beaten.

Ahh, this is where fault takes place. Stop collecting fruit, and your
globs won't work so hard. Fruit is collected automatically when
available. And the converting comes as a side effect, continue
converting, and you get more globs. Stop converting and send your
units to the swarm, you get more globs. The difference is that when
you convert, your enemy also loses a glob, its not just you gaining a
glob.

Ok, I see what you mean. Conversions a big plus then and I guess it wouldn't be the thing thats making nicowar loose on small maps? That leaves building spacing, and expansion. (towers are for defence really, helpful but not needed). My guess is on expansion :P

The Inn code is good already, it doesn't assign just 1 unit per Inn,
look more closely, it is more intelligent than that. The swarm code
still needs to be implemented, yes.

Ok. Once that swarm code is in, globule creation will become faster resulting in more defence? Or is it set to make workers as first priority?

The pool thing takes onto a whole new catagory in building desire,
desire by design. This hasn't been implemented yet, as its fairly
complex. It would allow for such jests as "if the highest reachable
gradient from the starting point without traversal over water is x,
and our opponents center is not within this point, then increase
demand for a school to be constructed." The clearing area thing is
also more difficult, I would have to do a catagorization of the team
buildings within the gradient traversal, then group them according to
destance from eachother, and try to find the group that eleminates the
lowest possible buildings that still provides enough room for the high
demand building.

Well, theres a way to do it (complex or not), and it will be worth it! Without it, Nicowar will perish.

No one should use markets. Markets are useless.

Why have they been made then? Are they actually even functional? Are they used to share friut with allies if an ally doesn't have fruit?

Of coarse they gang up on you, thats the normal thing. Try it with 7
castors, its the same. The "Custom Game" menu automatically allies all
AI against the human, its not Nicowars choice at all.

I see...... I thought they would have tried to kill each other as well, not just me. Seems odd :S I guess thats the developers choice though :(

Its not stable yet, so it should keep the warning that it is unstable.
Otherwise, we are giving people a reason to make formal complaints and
start disliking the game, but if we say its undstbale, people won't
use it unless they really want to, and won't care if it crashes.

Well, I suppose with the crash bugs in windows, it is unstable. I just wish there was another way to show it, since it ruins the GUI with overflowing text :(