Re: [glob2-devel] more fruits?

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] more fruits?
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:42:01 -0800

On 3/10/06, Stéphane Magnenat <address@hidden> wrote:
> Matthew Marshall a écrit :
> > On Tue 07 Mar 2006 17:48, Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
> >> Well, the initial idea was to have more than 3 fruits. In this context,
> >> market would allow trading between players, even if they were not allied.
> >> It was designed to encourage secret diplomacy in free for all games.
> >
> > I have been wondering, is there any reason why this hasn't come about?
>
> There is reasons, although not good ones. Adding more fruit had been
> indefinitely delayed due to :
> - lack of fruit graphisms and names
> - risk of too powerfull conversion strategy (wrong argument, map
> designer may rescrict number of fruit)

You shouldn't look at that as an excuse. I think they game gives too
much power to the map designer. One should consider that maybe 1 out
of every 40 map designers will ever try and make a really good map,
considering all the little details like if one person has more
ressources or another person has better access to fruits. Key point -
the game is open sourfce, the map designers aren't going to be world
proffessionals, their more likely just to be gamers like me who get
the spirit and spend maybe an hour making a map on a weekend.

So all this being said, we shouldn't trust the map designer to make a
good balanced map, because 97.5% of the time, they won't.