Re: [glob2-devel] more fruits?

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] more fruits?
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:05:27 +0100

> There is reasons, although not good ones. Adding more fruit had been
> indefinitely delayed due to :
> - lack of fruit graphisms and names
> - risk of too powerfull conversion strategy (wrong argument, map
> designer may rescrict number of fruit)

We could introduce a new feature that counters conversion strategies.
If workers would be able to feed warriors the warriors would not get
hungry and therefore won't be converted.
This could be controlled through - let's say - market places.
Imaging something like a switch for collecting or distributing food
in each market and a way to adjust the amount of food to be stored.
In the first switch setting workers would carry food to the market place
in the second they would carry the stored food from the market place to
the warriors.

If that is implemented carefully it can weaken fruits without
weakening them to much.  There are of course other ways to do this
(like skillfully designed maps), but I like the way it enhances the
strategic component of the game.  If you want to win through conversion
it is no longer enough to collect as many fruits as possible.  You
need to cut the supply of your enemy too.  If you want to fight in
a town of an fruit possessing enemy you have to plan how to supply
your warriors.

Since a it is easier to fill (and keep) a market place in your own
town than right under the nose of your enemy, this feature would
favor defence rather then offence.

Come to think of diplomacy:  there might be one player supplying
another one.

I also thought of a new worker type that is slow and can do nothing
but look after the supply.  On the other hand it cannot be converted
and is the only unit that can supply other units.

--
Kai Antweiler