Re: [Gnash-dev] release ?

From: Chris Leonard
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] release ?
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 00:34:46 -0500

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Rob Savoye <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/29/11 10:42, Chris Leonard wrote:
>
>> I would like to make sure that any work done on the PO files hosted on
>> the Sugar Labs Pootle instance are incorporated into the upcoming
>> release.  It is in the nature of using Pootle that strings are entered
>> or modified without necessarily submitting a new PO to the gnash-devel
>> list, so I would be happy to collaborate on making sure that you have
>> the latest versions prior to your release.
>
>  I'd definitely like to get up to date translations into the release. I
> just added the gettext macro to all the strings that get printed, and
> updated the gnash.pot file. We should use this updated one for any
> translations.

Sorry, I screwed up before and included the AbiWord link and not the
Gnash link.  I've downloaded the new POT from:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnash.git;a=tree;f=po

Wow, the POT has grown from :

8748 words in 1293 strings

17105 words in 2747 strings

That is a lot of catching up for the localzers.  I will refresh the
template and ping the localizers about it, but I can't make any
promises that you'll get 100% coverage in anything but en_US and
en-GB.

>> In my experience, one of the best way to get new strings translated in
>> a PO file is to announce (to the Sugar Labs / OLPC community
>> localization list that a "string freeze" is in effect and that a
>> release is imminent.  I would be happy to make such an announcement on
>> the list if you could give me a "due date" for string submission.
>
>  I'll be out of town till around Jan 12th, so I'd make the 14th the
> freeze date. When I get back from that trip I was planning on working on
> the release. Would that work or is it too soon ?

We'll get what we get.  Frankly, the PO is a little bloated with
obscure error messages, it would be nice to identify a core UI set
(like some of the Gnome reduced PO files that skip gconf schema
stuff).

cjl