gnomoradio-devel

[gnomoradio-devel] iRATE, Gnomoradio and any other yet to come.

From: Alexandre Van de Sande
Subject: [gnomoradio-devel] iRATE, Gnomoradio and any other yet to come.
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:54:47 -0300

Anthony Jones (and irate community), and gnomoradio community.

We should not think about joining forces, but more on a sharing
knowledge basis. Gnome radio and irate are different programs, with
slightly different approachs and it is better that way, that every one
should be free to make their own approach.

But yes, as long as gnomeradio and irate are splitting up the users,
each one will be weaker, and the impact of both together on music
industry will not be so significant.

What they have in common are the databases: the music database and the
users profiles database. what we could work together should be the
algorithms for filtering music according to those user profiles.

I am a brazilian designer, and do not intend to work neither on irate
nor on gnomeradio, but I discovered both while working on a my own
ideas, witch i dsicovered to be very similar to boths programs
philosophies. I intend to make a music software with collaborative
filtering as irate and gradio, but with some  user interface ideas of
my own,  thinking about (but not restricted to) the brazilian
independent music scene, or how I see the whole thing from my local
point of view. And the magic of our (internet) age is richness
throught multiple point of view.

Now what I suggest is that we shoud work together in interface
independent ideas, that both Irate, Gnomoradio and any other
iniciative could use. That is:

1-create protocols to share user profiles and music database (where
the music can be found through  HTTP or P2P or even FTP) There are a
whole bunch of great musicians in brazil seeking for a chance. there
are thousands other on the creative commons search engine.

2-work together to develop open working algorithms to filter the user
profiles and select the music that the user would probably like to
hear.
 (what Pádrag cunnigham called a Automatic collaborative filtering,
google his papers about programme driven radio at trinity college
dublin)

maybe this algorithm could be transformed into a external program,
that could be enhanced independently, and could be plugged in any
program. There is a whole new field for automatic classifications of
music by similitude baesd on the analog sound wave, the rytm, the
frequency. Music programmers could work on this separetdly, and
constanly improve the whole thing.

This way, gnomoradio, Irate or any program yet to be created will be
more powerfull

Alexandre van de sande
brasil

(i am not a native english speaker)