Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: DARCS

From: Jan Harkes
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: DARCS
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:23:41 -0400

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:56:09AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > From: Robert Anderson <address@hidden>
>
>     >> It's not redundant: I'm suggesting there ought to be one place where
>     >> the mapping between filenames and ids happens, and that place ought to
>     >> be one or more files in {arch}, not scattered around in .arch-ids
>     >> directories.
>
>     > If you think we should have to choose the "one true way" then I'm pretty
>     > sure we'll never agree.  So I think I understand your idea of "wrong"
>     > now.
>
> It's more than just a philosophical concern.
>
> One negative consequence of that approach is that `tla move' is then
> required when renaming directories while, with .arch-id storage, it is
> not.

But people would still have to use tla move whenever they are moving
files around. So the principle of least suprise would actually advocate
for all moves in a given Arch working tree to be performed with 'tla
move'.

Also where is the arch-id tag for a directory stored? I would assume it
would be in the arch-ids of the parent, but if directory moves are safe
I guess there must be some special exception for directories in the
code. So forcing people to use tla move would actually allow you to
remove a couple of special cases.

Jan