Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: DARCS

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: DARCS
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:45:43 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Jan Harkes <address@hidden>

    > > One negative consequence of that approach is that `tla move' is then
    > > required when renaming directories while, with .arch-id storage, it is
    > > not.

    > But people would still have to use tla move whenever they are moving
    > files around. So the principle of least suprise would actually advocate
    > for all moves in a given Arch working tree to be performed with 'tla
    > move'.

I don't think it's all that surprising.  More to the point, I don't
think that that's a coherent principle in this context.  Finally, if
anyone ever gives me `mv-alike' and `rm-alike' and `rmdir-alike' tla
subcommands, the principle you cite will apply in the manner you like,
regardless.

    > Also where is the arch-id tag for a directory stored?

In the .arch-ids subdir of that dir.

    > I would assume it would be in the arch-ids of the parent,

You're mistaken.

    > but if directory moves are safe
    > I guess there must be some special exception for directories in the
    > code.

Barely.

    > So forcing people to use tla move would actually allow you to
    > remove a couple of special cases.

Not compelling.  You want to write the `rm/mv/rmdir'-alike commands.