[Gnu-arch-users] Re: DARCS

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: DARCS
Date: 10 Sep 2003 11:15:04 +0900

Mirian Crzig Lennox <address@hidden> writes:
> I would argue that there are some advantages in the ability to store
> metadata in a way that does not require modifying the user's source
> tree;

A cool way to handle this might be to allow a sort of `shadow tree' for
project trees -- that is, allow the user to specify an alternate root
for arch meta-files, and somehow induce other parts of arch to
(1) always write meta-info to that root instead of underneath the source
tree, and (2) when reading, merge the two trees so they look like one.

So then you could use normal commands, e.g.:

   cd .../my-read-only-sources/foo-1.0
   tla init-tree --meta-root=.../arch-meta-info/foo-1.0 foo--main--1.0
   [... maybe edit .../arch-meta-info/foo-1.0/{arch}/=tagging-method ...]
   tla import --meta-root=.../arch-meta-info/foo-1.0 -s

-Miles
--
Ich bin ein Virus. Mach' mit und kopiere mich in Deine .signature.