Re: [Gnu-arch-users] mirrors (was: tree has no patch log for version)

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] mirrors (was: tree has no patch log for version)
Date: 13 Sep 2003 14:13:02 -0700

On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 14:02, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> On Saturday, Sep 13, 2003, at 07:33 US/Pacific, Mark A. Flacy wrote:
>
> > The really short answer is "mirrors are read-only".
> >
> > I don't remember when the change was added that enforced that little
> > detail.  What version of tla are you using?
>
>       OK, that's cool.  I did notice after I sent this mail that the commit
> did indeed fail (though it wasn't obvious that it was read-only).  I'm
> running dists--release-tla--1.1--patch-5
>
>       I also confirmed that did not break my original archive...I screwed
> around in my .arch-params directory and got it working happily again.
>
>       I am curious, though...what is the point of mirrors?

You know the mirrors of the kernel source, the GNU tools, etc?  It's
like that.

Typically, a mirror distributes bandwidth usage or moves bandwidth usage
onto a more capable line.

It can also serve the purpose of making all or some of an archive
publicly available, by mirroring out to a reachable host (as opposed to,
say, a home computer on a modem with no hostname).

Bob