Re: [Gnu-arch-users] mirrors

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] mirrors
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:02:08 -0700

On Saturday, Sep 13, 2003, at 21:45 US/Pacific, Damien Elmes wrote:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you - but what do you mean by create a
patch? That's something arch should be saving you from.

Just create separate branches for the various places you work - ie,
if offline means working on a laptop, create a separate branch on
your laptop. You sync the branches when you are online, and arch
makes it easy to push the changes in either direction.

Mirroring is used to obtain read only (fast) access to an archive.
You use arch's merging facilities to support disconnected / networked
development, not its mirroring facilities.

        OK, this is the kind of thing I was hoping for.  :)

So, yeah, I've got an archive on a WebDAV volume somewhere and I want to be able to make changes in a local archive and have them go up to the main archive.

It sounds like I've been looking in the wrong place. I suppose conceptually, a branch is precisely what I want.

        I'll get back to doing homework.  Thanks for the pointers.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>