Re: [Gnu-arch-users] mirrors

From: Zack Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] mirrors
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 07:25:05 -0700

Hi Dustin,

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 10:02:08PM -0700, Dustin Sallings wrote:
> On Saturday, Sep 13, 2003, at 21:45 US/Pacific, Damien Elmes wrote:
> >Just create separate branches for the various places you work - ie,
> >if offline means working on a laptop, create a separate branch on
> >your laptop. You sync the branches when you are online, and arch
> >makes it easy to push the changes in either direction.
>
>       OK, this is the kind of thing I was hoping for.  :)
>
>       So, yeah, I've got an archive on a WebDAV volume somewhere and I
>       want to be able to make changes in a local archive and have them go up
> the main archive.
>
>       It sounds like I've been looking in the wrong place.  I suppose
> conceptually, a branch is precisely what I want.
>
>       I'll get back to doing homework.  Thanks for the pointers.

Yeah, you've been trying to finesse tla to do something that is one of
the main thrusts of its design. For your problem, you just need to think
of yourself as two different developers, and figure out what they would
do if they wanted to contribute to the same project.

For your needs, it sounds like you could do something like the
following:

1) create a tla archive on each machine where you want to do work.

2) on one machine, keep the primary project category and branch. On the others,
'tla tag' a new branch directly off of the branch on the first machine.

3) now all the branches represent the same project. You can use tla's
sophisticated merging commands to sync with the main repo before and
after you want to do work on any given machine

So once you get the infrastructure set up, your typical work pattern
might look like this: you sit down at one of your systems, and perform a
merge from the main repo to that system. Then you go to your working
directory on that system and 'update' from your local branch so your
working directory is current. When you're done working, you check your
changes back into your local branch. When you get back to your main
computer, you can then merge your changes back into the primary branch.

Be well,
Zack