Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Which cscvs to use?

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Which cscvs to use?
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:03:57 +1000

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 17:21, Andreas Fuchs wrote:

> > I've been going for usability and reliability.
>
> Right. I could get yours to work out-of-the-box. All the branches have
> one problem, though: When I try to import SBCL (http://sbcl.sf.net/)
> from CVS, it does not group the first CVS import into one
> changeset. Instead, cscvs commits every file as a separate changeset,
> which results in patch-1 to patch-300-odd with patch logs reading
> "initial import", each adding one file.

Ah yeah. So what you want to do is 'import' the first changeset, and
then 'commit' the remaining ones on the branch.

And what you'd -really- like is an automagic version that imports the
first changeset on a branch, if the branch is MAIN, otherwise it tags
from the relevant changeset, and then commits from there on in.
Possibly, you'd want to do that recursively, so you could start at an
arbitrary changeset, and tell cscvs to make it all happen. The problem
is though, that cscvs ids and arch patch-X's don't line up, so you need
to look in the headers for CSCVS-id: MAIN-9334 or whatever. All good
concepts.

For now though, I *think* I already suggested a recipe - import one
changeset, followed by commits.

Cheers,
Rob