Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Which cscvs to use?

From: John Goerzen
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Which cscvs to use?
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:54:01 -0500

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 09:41:06AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 00:20, John Goerzen wrote:
> > I believe I will suffer the same problem, except for the tree I'm
> > working with, it would be more like 16,000 commits.
>
> in one branch? whoa.

Yeah, I'm talking about the Linux kernel here :-)

> > > Ah yeah. So what you want to do is 'import' the first changeset, and
> > > then 'commit' the remaining ones on the branch.
> >
> > Can you give a recipe to do that?  And how does this ensure that the
> > first changeset does include the full tree and not just one file?
>
> The first changeset will be dependent on what went into CVS. If the CVS
> repository was created with one file, then thats what you get.

Ahh.  I suspect this repository was not created that way, fortunately.

> cscvs cache -b
> cscvs totla -i 1 <path to tla tree, that is ready for import, but with
> no files>

What if it has some files already?  Will there be trouble?  For instance, if
I start tracking Linux 2.4 using bitkeeper (where it was first introduced),
it would make sense to have the 2.4 tree start as a tag of the latest 2.3
tree.

Also, what tagging method does cscvs use?

-- John