Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: documentation as info

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: documentation as info
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:24:09 +0100

On 2003-09-17 14:55:54 +0100 Mark A. Flacy <address@hidden> wrote:
Even so, I use DocBook for my documentation and really don't see what all
the whining is about.

I agree that you do not understand the complaints. It seemed to be that DocBook (and especially the XML variant) are not the best markup language for documentation production. Of course, "best" is subjective and it seems that there are few features to be gained by using DocBook over Tom's system, yet it would introduce new hoops to jump through to get that little gain.

The responses for DocBook so far seemed to comment on charsets and tools. Character encoding is trivial to specify and most people have to download large tools to handle DocBook. Maybe Tom's tools need improvement/porting to be friendlier, but that looks like a task of about the same difficulty as recreating it all in DocBook. Then again, I'd still like to see independent documentation under a free software licence and if the proponent of that wants to use DocBook, they can choose the format.

Maybe I don't get the full scope of the complaints or the responses either.