Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: documentation as info

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: documentation as info
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 00:29:02 -0400

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 00:21, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > From: Colin Walters <address@hidden>
>
>     > I think the standards bodies are trying to move away from
>     > Turing-complete data.  And for good reasons.
>
> What might those be?

Because we want to be able to ship schemas along with the data, and have
software be able to verify the data against the schema.  If schemas were
arbitrary Turing-complete code, then simply trying to verify a
document's structure could cause a verifying program to infloop, or
worse.

In summary: security and reliablity.