Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: documentation as info

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: documentation as info
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:59:30 -0700

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 07:18:58PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

> Give me some abstract data type standards to start with (and, no, I
> don't mean DOM -- more like a set of lisp types).  And give me a
> freakin' language, not DTDs and Schema (geeze, only one letter off).
> We can build out the read/write variations from there.

DSSSL is the style language, originally for SGML.  It uses scheme to
manipulate tree representations of the document, ultimately to produce a
printed document, but obviously you can do lots of other things.

One interesting twist, their scheme has no side effects (no set!).

For its supposed "simplicity", XML parsers are remarkably complicated
beasts.  I would describe XML as a rather poor, but well defined
solution to a problem I'm not sure we had.

Dave