[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Inertia on lkml?

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Inertia on lkml?
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:00:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Miles Bader wrote:

> Karel Gardas <address@hidden> writes:
> > Maybe they still think that Arch is just slow... and yes, I'm afraid
> > BK is still clear winner in term of performance when working on the
> > large source trees
>
> I wonder how true this is, actually; has anyone timed them on
> comparable hardware?

Oops, sorry to all, I have done simple mistake assuming Arch to be <=
tla-1.1pre5 - so w/o any inode sig optimization.

Anyway, what BK supports and what is not currently supported in Arch - and
IMHO which might help for _very_ big trees are those edit/read-only
checkouts - I don't know proper name from BK terminology. - i.e. it is
possible to set only part of large source tree as your working area and
then operations will assume that other areas are just read only.

Hmmm, interesting fact is that BK runs some kind of checksum over all
read-only areas - and so IMHO it uses some kind of inode checking then if
different md5/sha1 - if different printf("BIG ERROR");

- conclusion - Arch shouldn't be so slower - at least following this
design...

Sorry for confusion and again thanks to all for your great work!

Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  address@hidden