[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Inertia on lkml?

From: Pau Aliagas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Inertia on lkml?
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:22:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Adam Spiers wrote:

> I agree with all of that.  I'm just a bit concerned by the way his
> words above imply (at least to me) that arch hasn't even registered on
> his radar.  If it had, I would have expected him to phrase that more
> like:
>
>       Instead of continually trying to start a flame-war, why don't
>       you go and join the efforts of a worthy contender for BitKeeper,
>       such as GNU arch?  Then come back when you've helped shape that
>       project into a truly viable replacement.
>
> If Linus and other key lkml players said things like this more often,
> I would expect a lot of the energy currently spent in these flame wars
> to be redirected towards more positive action.

Larry built bk based on Linus needs plus his experience at Sun. I think
that Linus feels obliged to him and until he finds something superior he
won't change. He does not care as he hs stated severla times.

When will this change? We need a few premises:

-when bk has a customer base big enough -and I think this is the case
 after the continuous and long-standing threats to stop providing the
 public linux gateways because they cost him too much-.

-when there is an alternative system as powerful and easy of use,
 Linus and Larry will agree on slowly moving to it.

-when linux developers move to arch and start feeling the power. Im' sure
 that then they'll even split the kernel in configs, trying different
 combinations of schedulers, VM managers, architectures. More freedom,
 fastest development, ore goals achived in shorter time.

If a few these developers move to arch, and I'm sure they will, it's only
a matter of time.

Sit down and watch your enemy's corpse go by your front door.
(soory for the bad translation of the chinese proverb).

Pau