[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Inertia on lkml?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Inertia on lkml?
Date: 26 Sep 2003 10:58:25 +0900

Zack Brown <address@hidden> writes:
> Arch is still filled with controversial features, though.

A bit strong I think.  If tla can deliver the goods feature-wise, I
think your average kernel hacker (and especially someone as practical as
Linus) will get over any initial distaste with `{arch}' and
branch-naming conventions pretty quickly, and get down to business.

The two things that still bother me about tla for large trees like the
kernel are:

 (1) Using individual files for explicit tags

 (2) No cheap/merge-friendly way of switching tagging styles en-masse
     (e.g. explicit -> tagline)

I see both of these as being fairly tractable problems though (in that I
think I could implement solutions without too much trouble).

The previous entry on this list was of course `what-change/commit is
butt slow on large trees' but the inode-state hack seems to have solved
that problem.

-Miles