Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:30:01 -0700

On Friday, Sep 26, 2003, at 03:44 US/Pacific, Mark A. Flacy wrote:

I disagree with your position. {arch} should remain as is.

I was kind of hoping more for justifications for the design than general opposition. The only justification I've heard so far has been visibility, which, as I demonstrated, can easily been provided with a hook and look like anything the user wants it to look like.

As it is, the design forces users to change the way they work more than they should have to for the sake of some users who want a visual indication that they're in the root of an arch-handled directory.

I, personally, see no advantage in having a directory have a visual indicator that it's handled by arch, but I also so no reason to prevent the user from having such an indication it is so desired. It kind of feels like a banner ad sitting in my source directories, except my finds (find * ...) and such match it if I'm not careful to avoid it.

        Here's basically what it comes down to from my point of view:

Renaming it to a hidden file does not prevent any users who want to from having a visual indication that they're in a directory handled by arch. They can even have a hook (or init-tree option) to symlink {arch} to the hidden directory. (Groups A and B both get what they want).

The current state does prevent users who do not want it to be in their way from accomplishing this. (Group A gets what they want, group B cannot get what they want).

I don't think the fact that some users learn to accept it (or even embrace it) really changes the fact that it only solves a visibility preference that certain users want as a side-effect of its true purpose, which is to handle the internal state of the tree.

--
Dustin Sallings