Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 17:54:31 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

    >   I definitely wouldn't point anyone to a patch that didn't consider
    > EDITOR.  I like vi, and I believe it should be the default since it's
    > most likely to be there and working correctly on all systems (the emacs
    > that ships with OS X is unusable, for example).  It's too easy to check
    > for EDITOR, to avoid it.

Nah, the default should be ed(1), of course.

    >   Overall, I think this is a much easier thing than most of the
    > arguments I've been having here.  :)  There's no reason this can't be
    > implemented in such a way as to make everybody happy (well, except for
    > the people who want it to work their own custom way without having to
    > configure it to do so, but they don't count).

walters gets the prize for making the argument in a way I can grok.
I'm sure our messages are crossing in the mail but take a look at my
reply to him and express your opinion.

I sense that there's some new folks around lately and arch looks like
a brand new, hence infinitely pliable thing.  Please try to appreciate
that it's a bit more mature than that with all the attendent
subtleties and internal relationships in design that that implies.
Change is very much possible -- just not (some forms of) casual
change.  It's not accident that it's good -- there won't be an
accident that makes it stop being good, if I can help it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the core is now over 50K LOC.
That's way too much.    A bit of refactoring here and there can help
with that but the danger of bloat is rearing its ugly head.