Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 19:57:35 +0200

* Colin Walters:

> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 10:03, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> I've finally collected a few issues that might be the reason why I
>> back away from tla each time I start using it again, despite being
>> always excited by it when reading about it.
>>
>>   <http://www.enyo.de/fw/software/arch/design-issues.html>
>
> I will respond to the rest later, but:
>
>> GNU arch does not support a centralized development model which lacks
>> a single, designated committer.
>
> Did we not *just* have this discussion the gcc list?

Yes, we had, and I still think its true.  But it's off-topic there,
and I was following Tom's invitation.

> Why do you continue to perpetuate this completely false idea?

Well, you can coax tla into a centralized development model, by
handing out something which is rather close to shell access.

> For Rhythmbox we have a centralized archive with multiple commiters.

Thanks.  I'm actually looking for such projects, especially if they
have active development mailing lists.  Do you know further examples?

> At most you have some handwaving about "changeset rates" and "log
> pruning".  The log pruning is a solved problem - simply delete older
> logs.  I've already done that once, by doing a "grep" for logs from
> 2003.

What does this mean for tla's merging capabilities?  Will users notice
that the logs suddenly went away?  Could you do that monthly, too,
without any negative impact?

>> I'd love to look at a project which uses tla, hasn't got a designated
>> patch integrator, and has a significant changeset creation rate.
>
> Define "significant".

More than 1200 changesets per month.

--
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: bigpond.com, di-ve.com, fuorissimo.com, hotmail.com,