Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Eduardo Pérez Ureta
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:33:39 +0000

On 2004-06-09 18:45:38 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Then we should change tla's archive  format not to gzip files. This is
> a  useless feature  that  should be  removed,  since you  could use  a
> compressed filesystem and a compressed network protocol.

A compressed filesystem and a compressed network protocol are not
efficient because you should compress your data in the application layer
not in the transport layer.
For example when compressing an image the specialized compressor can
compress better if it knows how the image is organized.

Compressing at the filesystem level or the network level is a workaround
to some applications that don't do data compression, but that's not a
good solution.

Eduardo