[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Binary diffs (Re: Some issues)

From: Lőrentey Károly
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Binary diffs (Re: Some issues)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:40:43 +0200

Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> writes:

>     lorentey> I think it's unfair to dismiss it like that. "You only
>     lorentey> have to patch diff, patch and diff3", indeed.
>
> Yes, "indeed."  Beg, buy, or build, that's the rule.  Only the beggers
> have been dismissed, and only for the near future.  Good advice to
> would-be builders has been given, and that should also help buyers to
> judge the probable price.

Uhm, OK.  I did not intend to whine about the free software
development model.  My point was (intended to be) that user-level
wrappers around diff & co. muck around with the archive format and are
therefore IMO a serious threat to archive interoperability.  Will I be
able to merge between archives with different changeset formats
without too much headache?  Will I have to download by hand,
eyeball-treat and install an idiosyncratic wrapper script each time I
register a new archive?  I think encouraging diversity in this case is
not such a good idea.

--
Károly