Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: community spirit

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: community spirit
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:59:31 -0800

On Nov 1, 2004, at 10:06, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:

-- which is useless unless one chooses to install fancywrapper, with it's 1000+ files of dependencies.

I think it's a little misleading to represent python as ``1000+ files of dependencies'' It is, at best, one dependency, and I'd imagine it'd be very common to be installed on any system being used for development.

[...] I am running Ubuntu here

        Is it possible to run Ubuntu without python?

I agree with most of what you said, and I agree that it just feels wrong to have to install a wrapper to use a tool because the base tool doesn't cover some common cases, but the problem is not so much the list of dependencies. The dependencies I had for installing tla in the first place were much larger than any wrapper I've used to date.

--
Dustin Sallings