Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes --diffs question

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes --diffs question
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 01:15:12 +0900

>>>>> "andreif" == andreif  <address@hidden> writes:

    andreif> Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:

Where did that address come from?  It's correct, but replying to your
message got that inserted in my "From", which got me spam-trapped.  So
there's no way you got it from the "From" in my earlier post.  ;-)

    andreif> I don't agree 100% with your comment though, what I was
    andreif> thinking is that arch has some consistency problems
    andreif> because it allows tla 1.2 write in 1.2.1 repositories
    andreif> even though in 1.2.1 files are no longer all considered
    andreif> binary and CR LF is modified on commit to LF. So tla 1.2
    andreif> could corrupt in some ways tla 1.2.1 repositories.

    andreif> Maybe my understanding is wrong.

No, you got it right, as far as I can tell from John's and Lode's
posts.  *I* missed your point *entirely*.  Thanks for the careful
explanation; I got it now!

    andreif> My opinion is that this isn't solid behaviour, either the
    andreif> repository should be 100% backwards compatible or it
    andreif> should use a somehow different format so older versions
    andreif> couldn't access it.

I'm sure this is a bug; Tom is a total stickler for that kind of
thing, and would certainly bump the version if he decided to change
the archive (repository) format.