Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes --diffs question

From: andreif
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes --diffs question
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 11:48:48 +0200 (EET)

John A Meinel address@hidden wrote:
>Files are supposed to always be "binary". They aren't
>supposed to be modified as a part of commit. (Whatever
>you commit should be exactly what you get.)
>
>That is why it is actually a bug in tla-cygwin-1.2.1.
>Just realize that while *you* might be able to check
>out your source tree, it is fairly likely that someone
>with a main-line tla will not be able to, as it is
>probably already corrupted. To explain simply, 1.2.1
>ignores line endings and generates changesets which
>conflict if you pay attention to them. Since all other
> tla's pay attention to line ending, you get into
>trouble.

I understand, though for a project that has coders
working on Windows/Linux/Mac with different ways of
writing endlines it makes sense to change all endline
markers to LF inside the archive. It looks bad that it
changed from 1.2.1 and it will allow 1.2 to commit
which might include some unusual line endings in the
archive, wish that if 1.2.1 when took that road it
would change the repository format in some way not to
allow 1.2 to commit.

But this is not so bad from my point of view, what I
find unpardonable is that when I commit a file to
archive then make some changes and do a tla changes --
diff it will not do the diff on the new file with the
CRLF changed to LF.

For the moment I will stick to 1.2.1 for the project
that I've already put into 1.2.1 as I am the only
developer on it - and use 1.2 for all other projects. I
am a bit disappointed, I switched from CVS to arch as
CVS has problems in the rename area and I heard arch so
praised - but looks like arch has some consistency
problems :(

Best Regards,
Andrei