Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes --diffs question

From: andreif
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes --diffs question
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 11:04:33 +0200 (EET)

Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:

>Arch doesn't have consistency problems; the
>environment does---you said so yourself.
>
> Of course Arch developers should be willing
> to help you by providing the hooks and
> even the scripts to hang on the hooks,
> but really what you're saying is the equivalent
> of "some of our programmers like to use Ada, and some
> like C++; Arch has a consistency problem because
> it doesn't translate everything the C++ in the
> archive."

Hi Stephen,

First I would like to say that I am very greatful for
all the work done on arch and the amount of help I
receive on this list for my problems.

I don't agree 100% with your comment though, what I was
thinking is that arch has some consistency problems
because it allows tla 1.2 write in 1.2.1 repositories
even though in 1.2.1 files are no longer all considered
binary and CR LF is modified on commit to LF. So tla
1.2 could corrupt in some ways tla 1.2.1 repositories.
Maybe my understanding is wrong.

Another small problem that I noticed is that tla 1.2
can't access 1.2.1 archives completely, maybe it's the
cygwin port only but I tried to get latest version of
my repository which was made with 1.2.1 - using tla 1.2
it gave up after unpacking some patches. My opinion is
that this isn't solid behaviour, either the repository
should be 100% backwards compatible or it should use a
somehow different format so older versions couldn't
access it.

Anyway I will switch to linux version of arch and give
it another try, maybe all those problems I get are due
to the cygwin port.

Thanks again for all the help,
Andrei

P.S. : anyone knows what happend to the nice arch
tutorial at
http://www.gnuarch.org/tutorial/html/arch.html ? Seems
it disappeared since yesterday ...