Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: how to fix a bad log message

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: how to fix a bad log message?
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:58:53 -0500

Clark McGrew wrote:
This is a bit of a kibitz, but I still don't understand *why* anybody
would want to remove a change set.  Why do people want this feature?

People make mistakes in their logs, and they want the right explanation to be connected to the change they made. People commit huge binary files accidentally, and don't waste archive space storing them. People commit corporate secrets, or files they don't have the right to distribute, to public archives (in the extreme, "nuclear launch codes").

If people were more careful, perhaps the desire for undo-commit wouldn't be there. But I've been using Arch for more than a year now, and I still make the occasional mistake. I don't think expecting perfection from people is viable in the long term.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology