Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: how to fix a bad log message

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: how to fix a bad log message?
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:21:23 -0800 (PST)

   Clark:
   This is a bit of a kibitz, but I still don't understand *why* anybody
   would want to remove a change set.  Why do people want this feature?
   You can get exactly the same result in the source code by committing a
   "correction", and it doesn't have any of the bad side effects.  Isn't
   that enough?

I find that I cheat most often to reverse an `import', sometimes
removing the entire version, branch, or category in the process.

Rarely but not never I undo a normal `commit' to what is an otherwise
very clean development line just because I can't stomach the "smudge"
left by a mistaken commit.

Of course, in all such cases, I'm operating in an environment where I
am absolutely certain what revision libraries and project trees to
also clean up, etc.

Arch *could* certainly automate that kind of cheating and, in spite of
the rumours, I'm all for that.   That's not the same thing as being in
favor of a poor design/implementation of this feature, though.