Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Linux BKCVS to GNU Arch Script

From: Catalin Marinas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Linux BKCVS to GNU Arch Script
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:17:00 +0000

Paul Mundt <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yeah, that's not a bad idea. Well, if I fetch this changeset specifically
> it doesn't include any patches, only the patch-log. This would certainly
> seem to be the cause of the problem. I've attached the patch-log for
> this (patch-2007), let me know if you want me to tar up the
> changeset.

It's a bit weird. I attached my changeset log of BKCVS revision
1.26789. Three files were modified for this revision. I also attached
the patch for consistent.c.

You could branch at patch-2006 and start re-importing the changeset to
see whether you get the same error, but I doubt.

It might be possible that the ChangeSet,v file in BKCVS is modified
long before the corresponding files are checked in (few revisions
difference). Anyway, I doubt this is a problem with BKCVS. In the
worst case, the ChangeSet,v file would be updated before the
corresponding files but this would only be noticed if the revision was
the last one and, the next time you run the script and rsync, it tries
a dry patching with the last changeset to check for its validity. This
way you would notice it immediately.

I think I know what happened. The script first rsync's the source
files in the BKCVS repository. After that it runs another rsync to
retrieve the ChangeSet,v file. Since these 2 rsync's can be minutes
apart, ChangeSet,v can contain new changesets for which the
corresponding source file was not updated. The solution is to first
rsync ChangeSet,v and the source files afterwards. The script only
uses the ChangeSet,v file to detect new patches and only after that it
looks at what source files correspond to this patch.

I will update the wiki with a new script. I also added couple of lines
to automatically cache the revision if there is a symbolic name for it
in the ChangeSet,v file (i.e. for any full or -rc release).

Thanks for taking the time to look into this problem,

Catalin