[Gnu-arch-users] Re: The future of GNU Arch users

From: Martin Pool
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: The future of GNU Arch users
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 19:50:24 +1000

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:51:51 +0200, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Aaron Bentley wrote:
>
>> Ironically, one of the reasons we started requiring 2.4 (we previously
>> required 2.3) was that 2.4 has the subprocess module, which makes
>> crossplatform compatibility a lot better.
>
> the subprocess module is available for 2.2 and 2.3 as well (it's pure
> python on unixes, a binary extension is needed for windows), and has
> a very tolerant license, so you can ship it with BZR if you want to.

As Aaron said, we made a decision not to spend our time supporting 2.3,
which should be in the next release of most distributions.

That doesn't mean someone couldn't do a backport to 2.3 if they wanted to,
but for most people it's easy enough to install 2.4.  You can install it
in your home directory if you want; you don't have to get the sysadmin to
do it.

We are keenly aware of the cost of external dependencies.

--
Martin