Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:44:46 +0900

2005/10/14, Martin Langhoff <address@hidden>:
> This was tested extensively with kernel dev trees, which have some
> nasty merges with very convoluted ancestries. I guess that one of the
> reasons that the monsters in the dark that Tom talks about don't worry
> me is... if anyone has a collection of freak corner cases for merges,
> and low tolerance for the scm dropping the ball, it's the linux kernel
> project.

I think you over-estimate the linux kernel community (I'm not dissing
them, I'm a linux hacker too!)....

They are like everybody else -- they are very picky about not _losing_
functionality.  In linux's case, that would mean git shouldn't be
(generally) worse than BK.  However, BK was also pretty screwy in a
lot of ways, and judging from git, most linux hackers seem to not
really have ever used a system that handles renames really well like
arch.

The kludges you describe are basically a lame attempt to _try_ and
guess information -- file "identity" -- that is available explicitly
in arch.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.