Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:33:49 +0200

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 00:16 +1300, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Well, I followed Martin Poole's work on BazaarNG up until the point
> where git saw its first few releases, and BazaarNG was definitely
> patch-oriented back then. And Mercurial was tracking each and every
> move of git but in Python.
>
> Next time I look at BazaarNG, there's all this love of tracking file
> identities, and I can't fathom where it came from ;-)
>
> Anyway... I'm sure there's been heaps of cross pollination, and I'm
> don't necesarily know what influenced who and when. But one thing I'm
> sure: BazaarNG started off tracking patches, following perhaps the
> steps tla/baz and darcs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "patch-oriented" and "tracking patches",
as the "changeset oriented" terminology is used quite loosely in some
places.

BazaarNG has _never_ used a storage format based on patches. In the
early versions, even before git existed, it was using a git-like
storage, where revisions where stored as snapshot, reusing the full text
of files that did not change. The same technique that allows O(tree)
checkout performance for git.

As of recently, it's using a storage format based on weaves (not unlike
bk) that is much more compact and has interesting properties for fast
and powerful merging.

Either you have been misinformed, or you misunderstood, or we are using
different definitions of the same words.
--
                                                            -- ddaa